Friday, April 2, 2010

Hitting the Gym

As part of my resolution to become a better and more fit equestrienne, I decided to pry my old membership card out of my wallet, blow the dust off of it, and march my flabby butt down to the ultimate site of self-torture: the gym.

Now, I have always been a solo gym-goer. I go alone, park myself on the aerobic equipment for a half hour to an hour, and zone out. Either watch the TVs or plug in the ole' iPod. Occasionaly, if I was feeling particularly motivated, I would jump on a resistence/weight machine if they weren't too busy. I think waiting in line for gym equipment should be illegal.

Now, I'm not saying that there was anything wrong with me forcing myself to get at least 1/2 hour of cardio in. It's better than nothing, that's for sure. But the motivation was lacking.

So, while perusing the Wonderful World Wide Web one day, looking for healthy vegetarian recipes, I stumbed across a fitness magazine web site that I quite like, and within this magazine's HUGE array of articles on everything from yoga to running to healthy eating, I found an article that made so much sense to me. About the power of joining the group classes offered at the gym. About how motivating they are. About how women, in particular, need the social support to continue an exercise program.

So I looked up my gym's group classes, decided that joining yoga would be a good idea for my first group class ever, since it was the least-threatening-looking on one there (Boot camp? Turbo kickboxing? What the hell is Zumba?) and resoved to attend the very next day.

Yoga kicked my butt. It was great. I stayed for the whole hour instead of thinking "eh, a half hour is good enough, and I have things to do," and I gave way more effort than I normally would have on my own. Hmm. Maybe there is something to this group class idea after all.

Yesterday I attended my second ever group class: pilates. Pilates kicked my butt more so than yoga. I am sore EVERYWHERE today, but I am so excited for my next class. Addicted already, I think. Which, to me an my non-motivated self, is a miracle. I would love to be addicted to the gym. Then how easy would this weight loss/fitness thing be? And it didn't help that my pilates instructor promised me that by the end of 30 pilates classes that I would see a noticeable difference in how my body looks and moves. You're ON, sister! Prove it. :-)

Sadly, the only class that I can squeeze in today is the mysterious and elusive Zumba class. Everyone says they are a lot of fun, though. And from what I gather it's more of a dance/aerobics class instead of the strength/toning/flexibility that yoga and pilates provides. Which I should probably incorporate into my class rotation anyway, to keep everything nice and balaced. Will be sure to keep everyone posted on the outcome though. I have zero rhythm. None. So it should at least be entertaining if nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment